Monday, January 23, 2017

How my near and dear ones reacted to my first book?

"Hey, Mom I published a book on amazon." I called my mom and said to her.

"Oh… (Long pause) What is amazon?" My mom asked me.

My mom is not at all an online shopper. She is a very simple woman from a small town in Kerala. So I understood her difficulty in understanding what I said.

"Mom, do you remember that I used to buy books online from Flipkart? Amazon.in is just like Flipkart. We can buy things and sell our things." I replied

"Oh, good! How much will you get per month?" The next inevitable question.

"It depends on how many units people buy! Only after 2 months, I can say how much I earned!" I said confidently to my mom

"Oho... So it is not a stable income. What about your teaching job? Aren't you looking for a job in teaching field? You will get easily job there and it is a stable income also. Moreover, you can manage your family also."

Very few Indian parents understand about your passions. Rest all wants you to live a normal life. Study well, get a good job, earn money, get married, continue the job, have kids and so on. I just got married and that is why my parents insist on continuing the job. Not just any job…. A job that gives you fixed salary at the end of the month.

"Mom, this is just a beginning. Wait and see! Where is grandma? I want to talk to her!" I asked mom
Grandma took the phone and started having routine chats with me. I gave her the good news that I published a book on amazon. She also was not aware of amazon. So I explained everything to her. She also insisted that I need to have a consistent income.

I informed my dad about my first book. It didn't surprise me when he asked me what amazon was. After all, my parents are from small town and live a very simple life. Work hard, earn your bread, share it with your family, live a simple life. This is their philosophy.

My sister was amazed to hear my first book. But soon the conversation ended in the job matter.
My friends were well excited about my book. They purchased it and started rating on amazon. I was so happy when I got my first ratings and reviews from them.

They loved my style of writing. They gave me a lot of suggestions. They supported me and encouraged me.

The most important part is that I love writing. Whether there is any reader or reviewer or fan or not, my love for writing never ceases. It sets me free. I love falling in the world of my books and writing.
Yup, I am an introvert but talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment